You are hereAbout the Project
About the Project
This fully funded project of the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority (RTA), in partnership with the cities of Lakewood and Cleveland, will upgrade the roadway and amenities on Clifton Boulevard, from West Clifton Boulevard in Lakewood to Lake Avenue in Cleveland.
In 2007, the cities of Lakewood and Cleveland worked together to build a conceptual plan to enhance Clifton Boulevard. The concept is to calm traffic and enhance the boulevard by improving the landscaping, lighting and transportation amenities. In 2009, RTA applied for and received federal stimulus funds to design the Clifton Boulevard Transportation Enhancement Program with the cities of Lakewood and Cleveland. In 2010, several public meetings were held in Cleveland and Lakewood to engage residents during preliminary design development for the corridor.
Over the past year and a half, since 2010, the project has been changed in several areas. The RTA has now secured a significant amount of construction funding to move the project forward. The architectural and engineering firm of Richard L. Bowen + Associates Inc., that was selected by a joint panel in 2009, completed design documents in 2013. A summary of the current scope of the project is as follows:
- New bus stations or bus stops will be built at these eastbound locations -- West Clifton, Granger, Westlake, Summit, Warren, Belle, Bunts, Nicholson, Cove and Fry.
- New bus stations or bus stops will be built at these westbound locations -- Webb, Granger, Cranford, Summit, Cook, Belle, Nicholson, Cove and Fry.
- Each new station will also have a new concrete bus pad within the curb lane.
- The curb lane will recieve new signage and pavement markings to designate a bus-only status during peak hours.
- Build new bus stations or bus stops at these eastbound locations -- Baltic Road, West Blvd., W. 104, W. 110, W. 115, and W. 117.
- Build new bus stations or bus stops at these westbound locations -- West Blvd., W. 104, W. 110, W. 115 and W. 117.
- The entire roadway will be repaved, including new concrete bus pads within the curb lanes.
- The medians will be constructed with trees and landscaping.
- New curb and gutter will be installed by widening the roadway by one-foot in both directions.
- The driveway aprons along the Boulevard will be re-built.
- The curb lane will receive new signage and pavement markings to designate the peak hours when the lanes are bus-only.
- The area around W. 115th and W. 117th will have some additional streetscape enhancements, including masonry planters, sidewalk pavers, and new pedestrian lighting.
- The span-wire traffic signals from W. 115th to Baltic will be replaced with mast arms.